You have only 10 hours remaining to complete a 20 page assignment that has been pending for the last 2 weeks. Still 15 pages to go, you start thinking, how did you come to this point yet again where there is shortage of time and deadline on your head. Panic comes in, stress builds up. And you know that this isn't the first time it’s happening.
Then you remember that you have wasted two weeks in thinking; “there is plenty of time to do this assignment” and did everything to avoid it. Now ten hours to deadline and you are still thinking whether you should have a cup of tea or a snack.
Finding an excuse to do something which must be done can result in feelings of guilt and stress; which is called PROCRASTINATION. It is very common for students to mask procrastination by occupying with tasks that are completely unrelated to the work at hand.
Reasons for procrastination:
- Poor time management; without prioritizing your work it may feel impossible to complete certain tasks.
- It can be because you are unsure how to start a task, or maybe the task is difficult, so you keep avoiding it till the deadline hits.
- Many students procrastinate if they find their work boring.
- Setting unrealistic goals and fear of not meeting these standards may also lead to procrastination.
- Environments or situations can make student less motivated about completing their work.
Tip to Avoid Procrastination:
Here are some tips to help you end the vicious cycle of procrastination:
- Commitment to the task you are doing. Never leave an assignment half way.
- Improve time management and prioritize work.
- Do the most important work when you have high energy.
- Find a suitable place to work and study.
- If you get bored working alone, work in group.
- Break large projects into small parts.
- Try using different strategies if you get stuck somewhere.
- Try not to set unrealistic goals for yourself.
- Think positively, motivate yourself.
- And in the end if you are worried about the quality of your work then know that it’s better to produce something rather than nothing.