“Creativity is putting your imagination to work, and it’s produced the most extraordinary results in human culture.”
How to use your gadgets? The biggest question that no one really bothers pondering on, not the young people at least. Smart phones have succeeded in keeping us ‘real busy’ but at what cost? Our CREATIVITY!
Smart Phones tend to make us ‘bored’ so much that we switch from one app to another, one simulation to the next, and one video to the latest, just to keep our interest on! But this keeping busy all the time, focusing on the small screen makes us ‘less creative’ every minute. As it takes up our “creative pauses” as very beautifully put by Edward de Bono. Our mind uses these bored pauses as an excuse to think, ponder and delve into our own thoughts to create something unique. But these Smart Phones have eased our lives so much that no one bothers adding value to life anymore.
Busyness is the enemy of creativity and look at us, always working, studying and using Phones! I don’t say that Phones are bad, they could be really helpful and could prove to be a catalyst to productivity but only if used in limits. You DON’T want to be ADDICTED to the device. You have to fight the craving, the itch to text, type and socialize. Use it for positive tasks, like:
- Read eBooks.
- Get a dictionary in your phone, use that once in a while and learn.
- Get productive blogs apps for your desired interest (mainly productive).
- Get some brain exercising games, just don’t get addicted to them.
- Keep your notes.
- Share good stuff very once in a while but don’t always focus on sharing negative stuff, unethical jokes etc.
- Do research. Use your phone in classroom for research and learning (ONLY IF YOU’RE ALLOWED TO USE MOBILE PHONES IN YOUR CLASS).
Find a balance. Finding the right amount of time to spend on Smart Phones won’t make you Stupid, it’ll serve the purpose it was designed to serve. Not the role it’s playing now in our lives - constantly adding burden and stress. Addiction is bad. See the suggestions to overcome your issues with your Smart Phone so that YOU CAN START BEING CREATIVE AND SMART like your SMART PHONE:
- Identify your problem. Do you believe you can NOT live without your Phone? Or you constantly feel that itch to tap the screen? If so, you need to work on this.
- Once your condition is identified. Set goals. Make yourself stay as far from your phone as possible. Make it inaccessible. Like when you go to school/college, leave your phone home. Seriously, it would work.
- When home, put it on silent. And Keep it locked away somewhere where it’s difficult to grab every few seconds. Do this at least for an hour or so daily at the start and then increase time. Your tolerance level would increase.
- If you cannot make yourself stay away, seek help from your parents. Ask them to keep it away from you for some part of the day. Keep reminding yourself that this is for your own good. YOU’RE SAVING YOUR CREATIVITY.
- You can also do this with your friends. Make it a group exercise. Do it as an adventure. Challenge your friends. It’s always easy when you’ve some company.
- Commit yourself. Promise yourself that you have to do this. It’s okay if you fail at the start. But keep persistent. Keep committing to your goal again and again unless your brain learns the lesson that you’re no more addicted.
- Keep this routine on for a while until you’re totally free!